Karmelo Anthony Seeks New Trial in Court Hearing
Karmelo Anthony is back in court Wednesday as his new defense team seeks to remove the judge who oversaw his murder trial before pursuing a new trial.
Anthony, a Texas teenager, received a 35-year prison sentence in June after a jury convicted him in the 2025 fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a track meet outside Dallas.
Now, his new attorneys are challenging several aspects of the case as they seek a new trial.
Karmelo Anthony’s Defense Wants a New Judge
The first issue before the court involves Judge John Roach, who presided over Anthony’s trial.
Anthony’s attorneys argue that Roach should not oversee the post-trial proceedings because they believe his public comments created questions about his impartiality. In one interview after the verdict, Roach agreed with the assessment that the jury had made the right decision.
The defense is also challenging Roach’s restrictions on cameras and public access during the trial.
Roach previously defended those restrictions. He said they were intended to protect the trial process, witnesses and jury.
A visiting judge is expected to decide Wednesday whether Roach should step aside from Anthony’s post-trial proceedings.
Defense Raises Three Main Issues
Anthony’s new legal team has identified several concerns as part of its effort to secure a new trial.
One involves public access. The defense argues that restrictions on courtroom access effectively prevented the public from fully observing the proceedings.
The attorneys also dispute how prosecutors handled character evidence. They claim prosecutors moved away from an informal agreement about keeping certain character evidence out of the trial.
Another issue involves jury instructions on self-defense. Anthony’s defense previously argued that he acted in self-defense during the confrontation that led to Metcalf’s death.
The new team wants the court to consider whether the jury received proper instructions about that claim.
Prosecutors Defend Karmelo Anthony Conviction
Prosecutors continue to stand behind Anthony’s conviction.
Bill Wirskye, who represents the prosecution, said the jury heard extensive evidence during the trial before reaching a unanimous verdict.
He also said prosecutors remain confident in the conviction and believe the proceedings were fair.
The defense, however, wants the court to review its concerns before the case moves forward.
When Is Karmelo Anthony’s Hearing?
The hearing on Anthony’s request for a new trial is scheduled for Wednesday at 9 a.m.
The county also plans to provide an overflow room with a live video feed. The move follows complaints about limited public access during Anthony’s murder trial.
For now, the visiting judge must first decide whether Roach should continue handling the post-trial proceedings. The outcome could determine which judge considers Anthony’s request for a new trial.
Source: NewsNation.
